Friday, October 24, 2014

Surgery Part 1

In order to start the process for my prophylactic mastectomy I had to first meet with Dr. Suzanne Kreienberg, a general surgeon.  She was wonderful.  My husband came to the appointment with me.  She went over everything thoroughly and in layman's terms.  Next step was to meet with the plastic surgeon, Dr. Debbie Kennedy.  Again, a wonderful experience.  In the spring I called to ask for the surgery date, so we came up with September 19th.  

I really tried not to think about it all and I did a pretty good job of that.  Surgery was set for 10am on a Friday, so I worked through Thursday and attended a community meeting that evening so my mind was occupied.  

Got to the hospital and I know my father was with me.  The receptionist checking people in was someone I knew.  She said she never works there but they needed someone to fill in.  Anyway, seeing a familiar face relaxed me.  Filled out tons of paperwork and then they took me into the pre-op bay.  Paul had to stay in the waiting room for a while which I didn't like.  Anyway, my favorite numbers have always been 8 and 18.  I was put into bay 18.  I took that as a sign.  Both surgeons came in to talk to me as well as a wonderful nurse.  Paul came in while we were with Dr. Kennedy and so we talked for quite some time.  Then the anesthesiologist came in and gave me a valium like medicine which relaxed me.  Thank goodness because I was starting to want to just leave and forget the whole thing.  Then they wheeled me away and I said goodbye to Paul.  I remember laying in the OR looking around at all of the lights and machines and wondering where the doctors all were.  Next thing I knew I heard a woman's voice calling my name.  I was in recovery in bay #8.  Crazy!!!  She said everything went well and they brought me to my room.  Paul came in.  It was only 1pm.  Everything went faster than we thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment